Cauterets looks very touristy and a bit tacky, but it holds a special place in my heart: it’s the first location I ever went camping in the Pyrenees. It’s an excellent point from which to explore the Pyrenees National Park. Perhaps I spent around 2 months in the area spread over 3 different trips. There is great walking all around. In town there are many restaurants, a fantastic public swimming pool and a small cinema - with one employee only. After selling the tickets, the same gentleman announces the night’s programme and wishes the audience a good movie, closes the door behind him and does whatever it needs doing at the projection room. When the movie finishes he rushes to open the door and greet people good night. He is also responsible for the music selection before the movie starts. Interesting experience, very different from catching a movie at a multiplex cinema.
Arriving in Cauterets, I took a picture of the railway station:
This station was constructed from 1897. If I understood it correctly, it was prefabricated in wood in a place near Bordeaux and later assembled on site. The line Pierrefite – Cauterets was used from 1896 until it was closed in 1949. Nowadays the station is used as a bus terminal and a place for cultural events. The disused railway line was opened to pedestrians and cyclists, it’s a beautiful ride away from traffic – I’ve done it a few times in the past.
This is my submission to PhotoHunt: wooden.
Next week the theme is yellow! My favourite colour! Whoohoooooo!
No comments:
Post a Comment